10 Reasons to Dance
1. Social Aspects – Square Dancing & Contra Dancing are great ways to meet people in a non-threatening, relaxed social atmosphere. You never know who you are gong to meet. Lifelong friendships are formed, and many have met the love of their life. There are clubs for singles, couples, the handicapable, gays & lesbians, campers, and youth, although usually everybody is welcome at all clubs.
2. Healthy Environment – Square Dance, Round Dance & Contra Dance clubs are smoke and alcohol free.
3. Stress Relief – Since these 3 dance forms, Square Dancing, Round Dancing, & Contra Dancing, are all led by a leader giving commands, you become so focused on the “task at hand” that your other mental worries are forgotten, at least for a couple of hours.
4. Cardiovascular Fitness – Dancing is a safe way to exercise. The level of exertion is up to each participant. You can rev it up for a high intensity workout or take it easy for a relaxing, yet beneficial workout. Dancing regularly can lead to a slower heart rate, lower blood pressure, and an improved cholesterol profile.
Read More »
Not-so-square dance: Teens blend old, new for fun, competition
DAVID WICKERT; firstname.lastname@example.org * 253-274-7341
Published: May 11th, 2008 01:00 AM | Updated: May 11th, 2008 06:32 AM
They scooted. They circulated. They Ferris wheeled and loaded the boat. In short, they turned the White River High School gymnasium into the region’s biggest dance party Saturday. But this was not your typical high school dance. The Pacific Northwest Teen Square Dance Festival in Buckley drew 260 competitors from Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. They competed for dancing, calling and other honors. And they showed that while square dancing retains some of its traditions, it’s evolved into something these teenagers get a kick out of. Read More »
Dancing will add ten years to your life!
Live Ten Years Longer!
Square Dancing will add ten years to your life, a surprising new study shows. Dr. Arron Blackburn states “It’s clear that square dancing is the perfect exercise. It combines all positive aspects of intense physical exercise with none of the negative elements.” Read More »
Teen Square Dancer Calls His First Dance
by Larry Bingham, The Oregonian
Of all the relationships between leader and follower perhaps few are as tricky as the bond between caller and square dancer. Ask Jonny Roberts. As a 16-year-old who stared down three “squares” of four couples on the polished wood floor of the Kinton Grange Hall recently, he knows well the pressure of being lord of the dance. Read More »
Reasons to Dance
1. Social Aspects – Square Dancing & Contra Dancing are great ways to meet people in a non-threatening, relaxed social atmosphere. You never know who you are gong to meet. ...